Tuna is quick, easy to cook and perfect matched with gutsy flavours. This crumble of favourite deli items such as sundried tomatoes, olives and capers is also quick to prepare and add at the last minute.
- 1 tblsp capers, rinsed
- ¼ cup black or green olives, pitted
- 1 blackened or grilled red pepper
- 4 semi-dried or sundried tomatoes, finely sliced
- 2 tblsp each chopped fresh parsley and marjoram or oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tblsp each olive oil and lemon juice
- 4 x 150 gram thick tuna steaks
- To make the Tuscan crumble, chop the capers, olives, red pepper and tomatoes finely and toss with the herbs. Set aside.
- Crush the garlic and mix with the olive oil and lemon juice. Pour over the tuna steaks and allow to marinate for about 5 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan or the barbecue and when hot, cook the tuna steaks over a high heat for about 3 minutes each side. Tuna steaks should be rare to medium rare. Season well with pepper once cooked.
- Arrange each tuna steak on a serving plate and top with a quarter of the Tuscan crumble. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and if wihed a drizzle of balsamic vinegar or Vincotto. Serve on a bed of sliced juicy summer tomatoes.
- Over-cooked tuna will become very dry so only cook this to rare or medium-rare. This recipe is ideal served warm. If you do overcook the tuna, flake it, toss with the crumble and serve over salad greens or tossed through freshly cooked pasta with a good drizzling of olive oil.
- Don't sit the tuna in the marinade too long or the lemon juice will cause the fish to become meaty in texture.