Minute steaks are so called as they should take no longer than one minute's cooking time on each side. These juicy, tender steaks make a great cafe-style meal to have 'el pronto' with friends.
- 2-3 teaspoons of your favourite prepared mustard
- 4 thin-cut Scotch fillet steaks
- mustard and spice-grilled onions (see recipe on our website)
- Spread about ½ teaspoon of mustard evenly over both sides of each steak and season well with salt and pepper.
- Cover and allow the steaks to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes to allow the flavour of the mustard to mingle with the beef.
- Heat a heavy-based frying-pan until very hot. Add a knob of butter or a dash of oil and swirl over the base of the pan. Add the steaks and cook for 1 minute over a high heat on each side.
- Transfer to a warmed plate to rest for a further minute before serving on top of a toasted piece of chunky bread with your favourite salad ingredients.
- Top with grilled mushrooms, if wished and plenty of the mustard and spice-grilled onions.
- If steak if popular with your kids, omit the mustard and make a steak burger. Cook some barbecue chippie potatoes and serve with tomato sauce and there will be smiles all around.