2 sheets ready rolled butter puff pastry, defrosted
1 cup sugar
¾ cup cornflour
½ cup custard powder
3 cups milk
1½ cups cream
50 grams butter
2 egg yolks, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1 quantity glace icing
1½ cups icing sugar
1-2 teaspoons melted butter
2-3 tablespoons warm milk
1. Preheat the oven to 220ºC. Line two oven trays with baking paper. Line the base and sides of a 23cm square cake tin with foil.
2. Place each sheet of pastry on a separate tray and bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until well-cooked and golden brown. When cool, press down on the sheets to flatten gently. Using a serrated knife trim to a 23cm square and leave to cool completely.
3. In a large saucepan, stir together the sugar, cornflour, custard powder, milk, cream and butter over a moderate heat until the custard boils. Cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; quickly stir in the egg yolks and vanilla essence.
4. Place one piece of pastry into the base of the tin, flattened side uppermost. Pour the hot custard over the pastry in the cake tin and press the remaining pastry sheet on top of the custard firmly. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight until set.
5. Spread the icing over the pastry and cut into squares to serve.
6. Glace icing
7. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and stir in the butter and enough milk to make a smooth, spreadable icing.
8. Preparation time: 5 minutes. Makes: 1 cup