1/2 cup cooked barley or brown rice
500 grams lean 99% fat-free minced beef
4 tblsp chopped fresh oregano
2 tblsp low-fat sundried tomato paste
1 red onion, peeled and finely diced
1 tblsp minced fresh garlic
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 tblsp honey
2 tblsp tomato sauce
1. In a bowl mix together the barley or rice, minced beef, oregano or thyme, sundried tomato paste, spring onions, garlic, egg, pepper and salt.
2. Shape into a loaf and place into a shallow oven-proof dish.
3. Mix together the honey and tomato sauce for the glaze and brush over the meatloaf.
4. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 60 minutes. Stand 10 minutes before carving.
5. Serve with the onion marmalade (see separate recipe) or low-fat sundried tomato pesto to accompany. And add plenty of fresh vegetables or salads on the side.
Adding barley or brown rice to a meatloaf will increase its fibre content. Serve it with the onion marmalade or the low-fat sundried tomato pesto.