- 1/2 cup cooked barley or brown rice
- 500 grams lean 99% fat-free minced beef
- 4 tblsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tblsp low-fat sundried tomato paste
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 tblsp minced fresh garlic
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tblsp honey
- 2 tblsp tomato sauce
Adding barley or brown rice to a meatloaf will increase its fibre content. Serve it with the onion marmalade or the low-fat sundried tomato pesto.
- In a bowl mix together the barley or rice, minced beef, oregano or thyme, sundried tomato paste, spring onions, garlic, egg, pepper and salt.
- Shape into a loaf and place into a shallow oven-proof dish.
- Mix together the honey and tomato sauce for the glaze and brush over the meatloaf.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 60 minutes. Stand 10 minutes before carving.
- Serve with the onion marmalade (see separate recipe) or low-fat sundried tomato pesto to accompany. And add plenty of fresh vegetables or salads on the side.
½ cup of raw barley or rice, when cooked, will yield 1¼ cups of cooked