3 cups whole milk
¼ cup caster sugar
2 strips pared lemon rind
½ cup short-grain rice
1 cup cream
1 tsp ground cardamom
½ large papaya
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Grease a 5-cup capacity ovenproof dish.
2. Bring the milk, sugar and lemon rind to scalding point and stir until sugar dissolves.
3. Add the rice and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly so the milk does not catch. Transfer the mixture to the prepared dish. Cover with foil or a lid.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes to prevent a skin forming. Stir in the cream and cardamom, then cook for a further 5 minutes. Cool, then chill. Serve in individual serving glasses topped with papaya puree.
5. To make the puree, remove the seeds from the papaya half and peel. Place the pulp into a food processor and process until smooth. Sweeten to taste. Accompany with a crisp shortbread like these Passionfruit Shortbreads if wished.
A refreshing twist on an old favourite.