½ cup teriyaki sauce (see recipe below)
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1-2 teaspoons sesame oil, optional
500 grams lean beef rump steak, sliced thinly
2 corn cobs, cooked and cooled
250 grams green beans, trimmed and sliced
3-4 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
cashew nuts and sesame seeds to serve, optional
1. Stir together the teriyaki sauce, ginger, garlic, brown sugar and sesame oil, if using. Toss the beef in the marinade, cover and stand for 10 minutes. Drain well.
2. Heat a good dash of oil on a preheated barbecue hot-plate. When sizzling, add the beef and toss over a high heat until the meat is well browned but not overcooked. Set aside. This is probably best done in 2-3 batches to ensure the meat browns well and does not stew.
3. Cut the corn cobs into 2-cm wide discs and place onto the hot-plate with the beans and toss for 3-4 minutes until crisp tender and beginning to brown. Add extra oil if required. Add the spring onions and return the beef. Toss to mix.
4. Serve with a few cashew nuts and sesame seeds to garnish, if wished, and accompany with the sesame-spiked sushi rice.
1. Put 1 cup mirin, ½ cup sake and ½ cup soy sauce in a saucepan and simmer over a low heat until reduced by one-quarter. Cool and refrigerate in an airtight bottle or container.
Make your own teriyaki sauce and keep on hand to add to grills and barbecues during summer.