Dry roasting adds a warmer, more intense spicy flavour to this jazzed up fried chicken, plus being baked it is healthier. This is an ideal recipe for chicken pieces with bone-in such as the leg and thigh portions.
- 2 tsp each coriander and cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds
- 1/2 tsp each fennel seeds and black peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp each ground ginger and cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 tblsp flour
- 8 pieces of chicken, without skin
- 8 tblsp fine cornmeal (see Cook’s Tip)
- 1/2 eggs, beaten
- Dry roast the coriander, cumin, cardamom, fennel seeds and black in a pan over a low heat until fragrant. (See Cook’s Tip for Lamb Tagine.) Combine the crushed spices, ginger, cayenne, salt and flour in a clean plastic bag and mix well.
- Toss the chicken pieces in the spiced flour. Remove the chicken pieces from the bag and add the cornmeal to the remaining spiced flour.
- Dip the spiced chicken in the egg and return the chicken to the bag with the cornmeal mixture and toss to coat evenly. Arrange the chicken in a single layer on a tray, cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Shallow fry the chicken in a deep frying pan or wok turning once until golden. Place on a rack over a roasting tray or on a baking paper-lined tray.
- Roast at 190°C for 20-25 minutes or until crisp and tender. Serve with the Fennel, Pear and Rocket Salad.
- Cardamom seeds are now readily available in the spice section of the supermarket.
- For a crunchier crust on the chicken, use half fine cornmeal and half coarse. Alternatively use panko crumbs.