Walnut oil takes favourite mashed potatoes to a new level of taste.
- 1 kg starchy potatoes
- about ¼ cup walnut oil, olive oil or 100 grams butter
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, finely sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
- dash of walnut oil
- Peel the potatoes and place into cold water. Cut potatoes if necessary to even out the sizes so they cook evenly. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when tested with a skewer or knife.
- Drain and mash well. Season with salt and pepper. Using a fork whip in the walnut oil and sufficient milk to make smooth mashed potatoes.
- Cook the bacon and onion in a dash of oil until well browned. If the bacon has a little fat on it, do not add any more oil to the pan. Stir in walnuts and cook until lightly toasted.
- Serve the potatoes from a large serving bowl garnished with the bacon and onions and a dash of walnut oil on top.