6 spring onions, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic. crushed, peeled and mashed to a paste
25 grams butter
½ cup finely chopped parsley
¼ cup finely chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried
500 grams frozen spinach
200 grams Hipi Iti cheese
16 sheets filo pastry
125 grams butter for brushing, melted
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup chopped pistachio nuts
½ cup fresh white breadcrumbs
1. Cook the spring onion and garlic in the butter in a frying pan for about 2-3 minutes over a moderate heat untikl the onion has just softened.
2. In a food processor, blend the onion mixture with the parsley, dill, spinach and eggs until the mixture is slightly smoother. Add the cheese and pulse to roughly chop and blend.
3. Take a sheet of filo pastry and brush with melted butter. Fold in half lengthwise. Place about 2-3 tablespoons of mixture down the length of the filo. Fold the end over then roll like a cigar. Starting at one end, roll the filo rolls around like a snail's shell. Place in a greased 24cm x 30cm slice tin. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
4. Brush the tops with the remaining melted butter and sprinkle over the topping. Bake at 190ºC for 30 minutes until golden. Serve hot.
1. Rub the butter into the pistachio nuts and breadcrumbs.There are no comments for this recipe. You can leave a comment below.
Spinach and ewe's milk (sheep) cheese have long been partners and they go together very well. Here I have added parsley and dill and presented a little differently what normally is a pie.