4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and finely diced
1 double chicken breast, skin removed
1 tablespoon pesto
4 juicy summer tomatoes, diced
3-4 cups finely packed torn spinach leaves
½ cup olives, black or stuffed
½ cup mozzarella cheese
2-4 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan
1. Boil the aubergines in plenty of boiling water for 10 minutes. This will help remove any bitterness that may be in the fruit. Cool in a colander before slicing in half lengthwise.
2. Use a small sharp knife and a spoon to remove the flesh from the aubergine, leaving a 0.5cm rim all the way around the edge of the aubergine. Chop the flesh and set is aside to add the filling.
3. Brush 2 tablespoons of olive oil on top of each of the flour aubergine halves and bake at 190ºC for 20 minutes.
4. Spoon the hot filling into each aubergine and sprinkle over ¼ of the mozzarella and Parmesan.
5. Bake at 190ºC for a further 15 minutes until the aubergines are hot and golden. If the tops are not brown enough, lightly grill just before serving. Accompany with a fresh tomato salad and some tender green salad leaves toss with a little oil and lemon juice.
1. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and add the onion. Cook over a moderate heat, stirring all the time until the onions are lightly golden, but not burned.
2. Remove from the pan. Finely shred the chicken breast. Increase the heat of the pan and add the chicken to the pan, tossing it with a little extra oil if you need it until the chicken pieces have browned and almost cooked. Add the chopped aubergine flesh to the pan and cook for a further 4 minutes.
3. Stir in the onions, pesto, tomatoes, spinach and olives and toss quickly until the chicken has cooked, the spinach soft and the tomatoes have begun to add their juices to the sauce. Once you have finished stuffing the aubergines, season with pepper if you wish.
Aubergines make the perfect container for holding a delicious filling. Ideas are endless - you can use any lasagne filling recipe or you might like to try this quick chicken versions, which is full of the flavours of summer.