1 kilogram boneless lean lamb for casseroling
2 onions, peeled and finely diced
250 grams mushrooms, diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3 tablespoons flour
½ cup light beef stock
1 cup dry white or red wine
125 grams chicken liver pate
1. Turn the slow cooker on to low to pre-warm while gathering and preparing the ingredients.
2. Cut the lamb into 2-cm sized pieces and season well with salt and pepper.
3. Heat a good dash of oil in a frying pan and brown the lamb and onion well. This is best done in batches.
4. Into the pre-warmed slow cooker put the lamb, onions, mushrooms and garlic. Mix together the flour, stock and wine and stir into the lamb. Cover with the lid.
5. Cook on low for 5-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, or until the lamb is very tender. Add the pate and stir until the pate melts. Season with salt and pepper if wished.
6. Serve with seasonal vegetables.
A simple casserole enriched with gutsy red wine and finished with chicken liver pate - an unusual combination that results in a truly delicious casserole.